Waverly, Ohio Historic Past page 3 
updated 12 Sep 2013

Page 1(Waverly Then & Now)   Page 2 (Changing Market Street)   Page 3 ( Waverly Historic Past)    Page 4 (Old Waverly Schools   Page 5 ( Waverly Library Block Changes)   Page 6 ( Down Emmitt Avenue)   Page 7 (Waverly 2nd Street) 

Waverly Crooked creek bridge at end

 Crooked creek bridge at end of 1st aveune, Waverly
Waverly farm

Carson Hopkins down on the farm
Waverly John Dewey

John Dewey

Waverly Daniel's Lunch

Waverly Daniel's Lunch
Noels

Noel's Market taken on 11 Nov 2002 the owner, Charlie Noels 80 Birthday. Prior to Charlie Noel owning, it was Owned by Betty and Carl Evans. Another prior owner it was Barch's grocery, owned by Pearl Barch and Grace Barch worked there.

Charles Noel, Jr. age 89 of Bevens Lane, Waverly, died on Friday March 16, 2012 at the Traditions of Bristol Village in Waverly. He was born on May 7, 1922 in the community of Lockbourne, Franklin County, OH the son of the late Charles and Hattie Carroll Noel. He was united in marriage on June 7, 1942 to Evelyn Marie Horn. To this union were born three children, Terry (Judy) Noel of Piketon, Penny (Greg) Nichols of Waverly, and Karen (David) Martin of Waverly. He has nine grandchildren: Deanna (Steve) Criswell of Westerville, Carla (Mike) Tackett of Piketon, Tina Noel of Piketon, Laura (Curt) Hawkins of Hillsboro, Rodney (Traci) Nichols of Hillsboro, Ryan Nichols of Waverly, Aaron (Aimee) Nichols of Waverly, Amy (Chris) Shaffer of Waverly and Bryan Martin of Waverly. He has thirteen great-grandchildren. Mr. Noel was a 1942 graduate of the former Scioto Township School at Wakefield, and was the owner of Noel's Market for over 50 years. He was a former State Representative having served during 1951-1952 where he served on the Agricultural Board of the General Assembly as well as the Industrial Labor Board. While a State Representative, Mr. Noel sponsored a bill, which was unanimously passed, that outlawed slot machines. Mr. Noel was a former Scioto Township Clerk, a member of the Waverly Grace United Methodist Church, a member of the Lucasville Lodge #465 F.&A.M., a member of the Order of Eastern Start for over 65 years, a member of the Scottish Rite Valley of Columbus, was honored by being chosen as the Grand Marshall for the annual Jingle Bell Parade, and a member of the Buckeye Sheriff's Association. In 2012, he was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Pike County Chamber of Commerce. Along with his wife he was also preceded in death by his daughter, Penny Nichols and a great grandson Christopher Tackett. Funeral services will be 12:00 noon Tuesday at the Grace United Methodist Church with Rev. Vernagaye Sullivan officiating. Burial will follow in the Waverly Evergreen Union Cemetery on Denver Rd. Friends may call from 5:00-8:00 P.M. Monday at the Botkin Funeral Home in Waverly and from 11:00 A.M.-12:00 noon on Tuesday at the church. A Masonic Service will be held at 7:00 P.M. Monday at the funeral home.


Charley Noel 

 

Members of Knights of Pythias # 307

Roster of members of the Knights of Pythias, Niobe Lodge, No. 307 Waverly, OH sometime prior to 1928.

This lodge meant Thursday evenings at 7:00 p.m. October-March and 7:30 p.m. April-September. Jim Henry believes they meant upstairs in the Vallery building.

     The Knights of Pythias is a fraternal organization and secret society founded at Washington, DC, on 19 February 1864.
     The Knights of Pythias was the first fraternal organization to receive a charter under an act of the United States Congress. It was founded by Justus H. Rathbone, who had been inspired by a play by the Irish poet John Banim about the legend of Damon and Pythias.  This legend illustrates the ideals of loyalty, honor and friendship that are central to the order.  
     The Order is founded upon naught but the purest and sincerest motives. Its aim is to alleviate the suffering of a brother, succor the unfortunate, zealously watch at the bedside of the sick, soothe the pillow of the dying, perform the last sad rights at the grave of a brother; offering consolation to the afflicted, and caring, with all a brother's love, for the widow and orphan. Brotherly love and charity are the Pillars on which it rests; Friendship and Truth the bond and surety of its preservation.
     The order had over two thousand lodges in the United States and around the world, with a total membership of over 50,000 in 2003.  At its peak, the Knights of Pythias had close to one million members.
     A member must be at least 18 years of age. He cannot be a professional gambler, or involved with illegal drugs or alcohol and he must have a belief in a Supreme Being.

  Knights of Pythias bylaws

Part of the by-lays for  the Knights of Pythias, Niobe Lodge, No. 307

 

Waverly 1910 Pike Co. Fair

Pike County Fair September 14, 15, 16, 1910 held at 5th Street, Waverly, Ohio

 

1910 Waverly, Ohio Fair, E. %th Street

1910 Waverly Fair, East 5th Street
Pat Slagle photo via Jim Henry

 

 

 

Waverly Building

Smiths & Sons Hardware

This building is located across the street from the US Bank drive through

 

Pee Pee Mill

Abt 1900 Pee Pee Mill (A. K. Lee's Mill) looking N.W. from old canal site on DTI just south of St. Rt. 220W

from Bill Hicks collection via Gary Cooper

 

Emmitt Block

Abt. 1900 post card labeled Emmitt block. Showing what is now called Greenbaum building.  At the time this was the intersection of Water Street (now Emmitt Ave.) and (Emmitt Street) Market Street. The little shed at the end was a shoe repair shop.

Mr. Greenbaum purchased the large department store from J. Nott Hoffman.  Mr. Greenbaum died 23 September 1935 age 64 years, 10 months, 9 days.  The Greenbaum store was closed in1947.

 

 

 

model

1911 Model "T" Ford Racer owned by Al Foster.  Sitting in seat is Floyd Loel.  Location is at North Street in front of Glove Factory--former Kinney Coal Yard & Bissel Port Hotel on Right. He won race at Waverly Fair Grounds.

from Bill Hicks collection via Gary Cooper

 

 

abt 1921 Waverly's first gas statio

Waverly's first gas station, setting on the old canal bed, in 1921 at corner of Market Street and Emmitt Ave.  Now a parking lot.

from Bill Hicks collection via Gary Cooper

 

NEW GULF STATION

A new modern Gulf Super Station will soon be erected on the Greenbaum lot at the corner of Market and Water Street.  The station will be operated by Mr. and Mrs. Howard Douglas who will  soon return to Waverly from Columbus.

6 Sep 1945 The Republican Herald

The building permit was then issued in December.

Waverly- Carlyle Estates 1950s

Carlyle Estates in the 1950s

 

Waverly Watchman office

The building when it was used as the office of the Waverly Watchman

 

Egar Inn

Waverly Bandstand facing Third Street with South Market on left about 1900

Prior to the park this was the Waverly cemetery, started 16 Dec 1846. The bodies were moved in1882 and the monuments that were movable were taken probably at the same time to the Evergreen Cemetery.  June 5, 1951 the new city building was opened on this land.  The building is now used by the Waverly Police and Fire station. 

 

Waverly Gazebo

In 1950 the Waverly Bandstand stood where the current police and fire department building is now. photo by Marcus Orr

 

 
Waverly Silver Diner

The Silver Diner in the 1950 was located where Barch's is now.  It was torn down to built Barch's.  Barch's used the bathroom fixtures from the diner in there new building.

 

1950s North Street, Waverly, OH

1950's North Street showing Coffer's Dry Goods, later Don's Furniture then Canal Antiques and now the store is empty.

 

Waverly early mail carrier

Waverly rural mail carrier

 

 

1900 era industrial area South End of Waverly, Ohio

1900 era industrial area at South End of Waverly, Ohio

 

fourth street, Waverly

Early view of Fourth Street

 

Dean's Drug Store owners House

Dean's Drug Store owners house

 

Maplewood Dairy Waverly, Ohio
Lee Flour Mill by DT&I RR Tracks Waverly Ohio 1900

Lee flour Mill by DT&I RR Tracks Waverly, Ohio 1900

On Wagon: Driver John A. F. Downing and Jack Hughes.  Standing: Elmer Downing, Edward Johnston and owner Mr.Strittmatter.

 

 

 

 

 
Albert Farmer abt. 1924 on running board of J. C. Schauseil coal truck

Albert "Slats" Fremder standing on running board of J. C. Schauseil coal truck

 

 

 

Albert on left on steam shovel

Albert "Slats" Fremder on left

 

Please email additions or corrections to manager@waverlyinfo.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Click below for other interesting pages.

Home  | Area Auto Racing | Church  Histories | Church News | City& Village Phone numbers | County Government Phone Numbers | Community Events | D. T. &. I. RREarly Pike Co. Schools SingsGospel Sings Historic Past in Pike Co. Historical Markers | Jackson Twp. History pg 1 | Jackson Twp. History pg. 2 | Jackson Twp. Census pg. 3 | Jackson Twp. History pg. 4 | Jackson Twp. History pg. 5 | Jackson Twp. History pg. 6 | Jackson Twp. Revolutionary & War 1812 Soldiers  | Jackson Twp. Civil War Soldiers  | Jackson Twp. WWI Soldiers | Jackson Twp. Finest Soldiers | Jackson Twp. Churches | Jobs | Lake White | Lightning Information | Nipgen& Summit Hill Pictures Obituaries | Ohio& Erie Canal North of Waverly | Ohio & Erie Canal at Waverly | Ohio& Erie Canal South of Waverly | "Old Chevy" Old Jail | Our Schools | Our State Parks | State Government Phone Numbers | Train Wrecks USA Government Phone Numbers | Pike Co. WWII Deaths | Sports in Pike Co. | Waverly Buildings Pg. 1 | Waverly Buildings Pg. 2 | Waverly Buildings Pg. 3 | Waverly old Schools Pg. 4 | Waverly Library Block Pg. 5 | Waverly Emmitt  Avenue Pg. 6 | Waverly 2nd Street Pg. 7  Waverly News | WW II Memorabilia |