Pike County, OH Church Histories updated 27 November 2012
 
M E church on Salem Cave Road
This church (M. E. Church) was located on Salem Cave Road between Beaver and Stockdale, Ohio, just off route 335.I think it was started about 1850. According to my grandmother a twister picked it up and carried it away leaving nothing but the organ and the foundation stones. This happened in the mid to late 1940's.
 Photo and story curtsey of Billy Sykes

******************************************************************************************************

Cartwright Chapel
Cartwright Chapel Latham

Photo by Rev. Waid Radford on Nov. 10, 1947

Cartwright Chapel story

 
Story by Jim Henry The Pike County News Watchman May 9, 2012
 
***************************************************************************************************************
 
Zion Baptist Church founded 1830
13236 St. Rt. 335 Beaver, Ohio
Zion Baptist origional building
Zion Baptist Church current
Zion Baptist Church History page 1
Zion Baptist Church History page 2
Zion Baptist Church History page 3
Zion Baptist Church History page 4
Zion Baptist Church History page 5
Current pastor is Keith Jackson
 
**************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bonds Chapel

3710 Rainbow Trail
Waverly OH 45690


In September 1909 Bonds Chapel was birthed from the Christian Union over doctrinal differences. The "Articles of Incorporation" for the CCCU was presented September 25, 1909 in Fayette county. One of the five signers was E. T. Bond.

E. T. Bond donated (for $1) the original plot of land to the church Board of Trustees on June 6, 1911. The lot was expanded due to the gift of John L. Lightle March 2, 1970 and a purchase from James and Susie Davis October 24, 1979. G. C. McKibban was the first pastor and E. T. Bond was the first, first elder. The early leadership of the church were instrumental in the forming of the Churches of Christ in Christian Union. four of the first five moderator for the fledgling denomination serves as pastors of Bond's Chapel.. G. c. McKibban was the second moderator, O. L. Ferguson was the third, H. C. Leeth was the fourth, and J. W. Sylvester was the fifth.

Some of the early families who attended Bond's Chapel, who had the vision to make the church a realty were Marvhoover, Corns, Lightle, Walls, McCracken, Paige, Hauger, Pollard, Bayhan, Hays, Cummings and Anderson. Some of the descendents are still members of the church.

There have been two church expansions over the years plus building of the fellowship hall. Prior to the mid sixties the church was a block building with several cracks. The Silcott's removed the sides, put in frame siding and stained glass windows were installed. The latest expansion was an increase in the size of the sanctuary under the leadership of Rev. Tim Rapp. The fellowship hall was built under the leadership of Rev. Hubert Salley. The fellowship hall was renamed "Park Place" in August 2010 in honor of Neil and Bea Park, who provided leadership to the church for over 33 years.

In 1953, Katie Ware, Anna Pfeifer and Lois Walls started the first Ladies Prayer Band. This group has continued strong providing support to six missionaries at this time.

Bond's chapel has always been a producer of preachers. Some of those `who were called and gone on to obey God as ministers of the Gospel include Don Pfeifer, Pete Kiser, Don Crooks, Paul Marhoover, Bill Ware, Lewis Viar, David Marhoover, Tim Marhoover, Bruce Viar, and Brandon Park.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The Mission

718 Mt. Etna Road, Piketon

The Mission was started in the bottoms of Lucasville by Pastor Tom and Freda Cyrus in 1956. Its purpose was to bring the Word of God and Love of Jesus to the poor and underprivileged. Brother Arnold Spencer and his wife Annie joined the work soon after it began.

God led Brother and Sister Wagner to the Mission in 1975 and they are still there. Pastor Tom Cyrus passed away in 1988. His dying wish was that Brother Wagner would continue his work and that the Mission would go on. Brother Wagner and Brother Spencer, along with their wives and many others who came to help over the years, kept that promise to Pastor Tom. Sister Freda Cyrus passed away in 2001. Some time after Sister Cyrus went home, God called the Spencer's to another work.

In 2002 Sister Ruby Pfeifer joined the work and still blesses the Mission as pianist. Sister Mary Adkins became Mission song leader and her voice blesses every service. Soon Brother Wayne Kirby and Brother Dan Rowe also came to help.

The Wagners and others continued in the Mission in Lucasville until 2007. In February of 2007, God led those working in the Mission to move the Mission church to its new location at 718 Mt Etna Road Piketon, Ohio where it is today. Brother Bill Meadows came to help in 2008. He is a tireless worker for the Lord. The Mission has been blessed with many new Sisters and Brothers who want to work in Lord's harvest since relocating to the Mt. Etna site. The Mission has a wonderful group of young people, teens, middlers and primary. They are the church of today for tomorrow.

The Mission continues growing in both spirit and number. Since 2007 we have seen 21 saved and baptized. The Mission was and always be a family orientated church, where everyone is equally loved and respected. Everyone is welcome, and clothes don't matter. We say Brother and Sister around here because we are all part of the family of God.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Clines Chapel Methodist Church

The Parishan published 1933

This church is no longer a Methodist Church

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Horizon Baptist Church

768 St. Rt. 220, Piketon

Horizons Baptist Church

The church was founded in August 2001. Pastor is Jason Boothe who has pastored since the founding of the church. Pastor Boothe was an assistant pastor in a church with a congregation numbering over 500 before he moved here to help start the church. The goal of the church according to Jason is to "preach the Gospel to as many people as the Lord sends along our path. No fanciful programs and no gimmicks are needed. We just want to tell the world that Jesus saves." The churches we site is www.horizonsbabtist.org .

************************************************************************************************************************************

Waverly Baptist Temple

7498 State Rt. 220, Waverly

Liberty Baptist Temple Feb 2009

Waverly Baptist Temple was started up on the hill behind the Chamber of Commerce building. It was a sheet metal 'shed' above the Dairy Queen. From there, it went to the theatre. This according to Dave Fosson

The first pastor at Waverly Baptist Temple was Jack Haggerty and with the help of Temple Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan the old theater building was purchased. There is a question as to who was the first pastor. The church bought the theater building shortly after 1963. Several pastors, 8 in one year, served before Rev. Meece came in 1966. The attendance grew slowly but steadily while Rev. Meece was pastor reaching a high of around 100 people at the old theater building location. Gary Minor had painted a beautiful Oil Mural of the New Jerusalem coming down from heaven and the Apostle John was on the Island of Patmos looking up.

When Rev. Meece came to Waverly Baptist Temple in June 1966, there were only 3 ladies left trying to keep the church doors open. It was difficult trying to pay the bill with so few people. In the year 1971, the church bought some land from Paul Deskins for the sum of $5000. They then sold the old theater building on Emmitt Ave. to Kelly Wallace for approximately $11000. He remodeled it and it became a newspaper office. The church moved to the Walnut Street School for over a year while they sold $50,000 in bonds to raise the money to build the new church building.

After moving to the New Church building on St. Rt. 220 West, the church bought approximately ½ acre land from Tim Rapp, on the west side of the building, for approximately $2500. Later the church bought 2 and ½ acres more of land fro Mr. and Mrs. Fisher on the corner of St. Mary’s Lane and Rt. 220 that included a house, garage and the old tollhouse for approximately $15,000. The city tore the old Toll House town. Rev Meece and wife bought the house and remolded and had approximately $28,000 in it when they sold it back to the church for around $16,300 to be used as the church parsonage.

The church building was built for about 60 or 70 thousand with many members volunteering help. Clarence Gillium from Wellston was the contractor. Mrs. Gentil, who passed to her heavenly home in 2008, and Rev Meece laid much of the tile in the auditorium and her son Tom Morris laid most of the brick.

In a Sunday school attendance contest if they reached a certain goal Mrs. Gentil had agreed to swallow a live Gold fish. The goal was reached and she swallowed the little gold fish.

The church had a steady growth reaching a big day of 347 in attendance. The Sunday before Rev. Meece resigned the church held a mortgage burning in November 1985.

The church started Heritage Christian School in the fall of 1983 but was discontinued in December of 1985 because of a lack of support by the new pastor.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Hammon Church

Near Zahn's Corner just off Rt. 220

The history of Hamman Church goes back to 1847 when members of the Hamman family donated land for church in Easter Pike county to serve the growing number of German-speaking families settling in the area.
Before immigrating to the United States in 1834, the family of Philip Franz Hammann, his wife Anna Margaretha Roth Hamman and their six children lived in the small village of Lachen in the Rheinish Palatinate (Germany). They were active in the village church which followed the ideology of the Lutheran reformation until a charismatic young man left the church and influenced others, including the Hammanns, to follow him. In 1834, he and his followers left their homeland to go to the United States. They traveled to LeHavre, France, and sailed from there.
Included in the group were the Hammanns with five of their six children- Helena, Anna Maria, Philip Lorenz, Frank Lorenz, and Anna Margaretha. Their married daughter chose to remain in her homeland with her husband. On the same ship was Franz's cousin Johannes Perter Hammann with his wife and their five children.
Upon landing in New York City on Friday, June 12, 1834, the group traveled by river, canal, and lake to Cleveland, Ohio. An epidemic in that city spurred them to travel south through Ohio. Upon arriving in Pike County, the two Hammann families made the fortunate decision to settle in this area while others continued their trek south to New Orleans where all but three member of the party died from a cholera epidemic.
According to an entry in the Bible of the Hammann family: "In the fall of the year of our arrival, we had the opportunity to hear preacher of the United Brethren in Christ. From that time on , preachers would come occasionally, and in the year 1835 we joined the church. In June 1840, we were converted through the labors of Father L. Graemer, and found true peace with God through the blood of the Lamb. To the Lord alone be Glory." (signed) Philip (Lorenz) Hammann
In 1837, Philip Lorenz married Anna Kataraena (Catherine) Koch. According to a column by Jim Henry in the News Watchman, a United Brethren minister traveling on horseback stayed overnight in the home of Philip and Catherine. The conversation turned to the need for a church to serve the German-speaking community in eastern Pike County. This conversation probably inspired the family to donate land for the church.
According to a story by a great granddaughter of Franz, the construction took place in 1849. In addition to donating the land, they helped fire the bricks for the building and boarded free of charge the three men who did the construction. Using a yoke of oxen, the men of the family hauled stones for the church steps from a quarry near Piketon. They also split rails and constructed a fence for the church property.
Change have been made to the old church building over the years. Padded pews replaced the straight-backed pews and the planked floors were covered with carpeting. Recently a vestibule was added, but the original brick structure still stands as a memorial to the hard-working German settlers who established this place of worship in their new homeland.

Hamman Church August 2006

Hamman Church and Cemetery

Hamman Church Cemetery August 2006

First pastor of the congregation was The Rev. Mr. Flinchback. Trustees were John Stemple, George Hammann (Peter's Son), Franz Hammann, and Nicholas Theobald. In the early years, services were conducted in German. When the pastor was away, sometimes Philip assumed pulpit responsibilities. He and his wife Catherine, along with other family members, are buried in the cemetery adjacent to the church.
About the turn of the century, the church was abandoned because of dwindling membership. During the years the church building was not in use, it became dilapidated and was vandalized. The pulpit Bible was even used as a target by hunters.
After a decade of deterioration and abuse a young missionary named C. A. Spriggs of the American Sunday School Union arrived in the area and began restoration so services could again be held in the church, starting with a Sunday School program in 1913.

Hammann Church Cemetery tomb stone pictures

*****************************************************************************************************************

Methodist Episcopal Church at Latham

The new M. E. Church at Latham, Pike county, O., in the bounds of Idaho circuit, was dedicated Sunday, Feb., 20, 1876. Rev. S. M. Bright, Presiding Elder of Portsmouth district, Ohio Conference, preached the dedicatory sermon, from Psalms, 137, 5-6. The size of the building is 26x40, valued at $1200, and was presented by the trustees as a donation from Wm. A. Cartwright.
The following preamble and resolutions were adopted by the Quarterly Conference of Idaho circuit on Saturday, Feb. 19th 1876, and a copy ordered to be transmitted to Father Cartwright.
Whereas, Wm. A. Cartwright has presented to the M. E. Church a new church edifice at a cost to him of about $1200; therefore,
Resolved, By the Quarterly Conference of Idaho Circuit, that we tender to Father Cartwright our thanks for his liberal gift, and pray the divine blessing to comfort and sustain him now under the weight of more than four score years.
This resolution was also presented to large congregation on the day of dedication and unanimously concurred in by a rising vote.
P. Henry, Pastor of Idaho circuit, is now engaged in a revival meeting at Wiseman's appointment, where he has received about forty accessions to the church. He expects to return to Latham in four weeks from Sabbath, 20th inst., and endeavor to effect an organization at that place by a protracted meeting.

Feb. 1876 Waverly Watchman

******************************************************************************************************************

Meadow Run United Brethren Church

junction of Meadow Run and River Road

This picture taken 28 May 1978 and was being used as Grace Baptist Church.

The church was torn down early November 2007.

The Church was dedicated about July 1901. This replaced the former church building that had burned down.

information from 4 July 1901 Waverly News

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Beaver Emmanuel United Methodist Church

Churches assigned circuit riders to carry their message to settlers wherever possible. Some meeting places on Beaver Circuit were: Beaver Chapel, Ferree Chapel, Barnes' Chapel, Bailey's Chapel, Scioto Chapel, Salem Chapel, and Bumgarner's School-House but none of these were in today's village of Beaver. Many German settlers were members of the German Evangelical Reformed Church and may have been the reason Methodist did not establish a meeting-place earlier in Beavertown. The Methodist reported at their 1857 conference that the Beaver Circuit has been created and was under the leadership of Marcus L. King. Ministers who served on this circuit and their appointment before the construction of a Methodist Church in Beavertown ate: Thomas Lloyd 1858, Daniel Tracey 1860, Wilder N. Middleton 1861, John W. Dillon 1862, Joseph Barringer and Samuel Bateman 1863, William R. Copeland 1865, William Morris 1868, and James Quinn Lakin 1870. Lakin reported he held a meeting at Beavertown where Methodist preaching had never been established and a contract for a building had been let. The trustees: Rufus P. Gall, John James, John McMonigal, John Mossbarger, and t. H. Nutt had a chapel in Beavertown ready for P. P. Hamilton when he was appointed to the Beaver circuit in 1871. The new church was dedicated September 15, 1871 and a Quarterly Conference was held at Beavertown on October 28, 1871. It received into full membership: Martin N. Davis, Morares Davis, John Dykes, Maggie Field, Sylvenia Gullet, Samuel McDaniel, David Nutt, Margaret Nutt, Elizabeth Plumley, Peter Rickerd, Catharine Scurlock, Nancy Sheridan, Nettie Sheridan, Andrew W. Swan, David W. Sawn, Joseph M. Swan, Amanda Walters, Jacob Walters, Catharine West, and Thomas Weston.
Many church services of the late 1800's and early 1900's were in the German language, and German settlers of the Beaver vicinity contributed several ministers. By the 1900's the younger generation was speaking more English than German, so services in the German tongue dwindled. The German Reformed Church closed its doors and the congregation split, with most congregants going to the Methodist or the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Early ministers from the Beaver vicinity included: Andrew John Plumb, Henry E. Brill, Alva E. Harrison, John Grether, Lewis Bapst, and John M. Stewart. A revival service at the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1904 was led by John M. Stewart and aroused a desire to construct a new house of worship. Located at the corner of Western Avenue and Church Street the new church was dedicated June 26, 1910 during the ministry of Rev. Alvin L. Vandergriff. and the beautiful window on the church's north side is in his honor. Special work and contribution from the Ladies' Aid Society provided funds for the magnificent "Garden of Gethsemane" window on the southern side of the church. Today's Beaver Emmanuel United Methodist Church will soon be 100 years old and is an important spiritual anchor to many in the Beaver area. Trustees during construction of the building were: T. W. Horton, Noah Gilliland, and Lewis Bapst. Formerly with the German Ohio Conference, Lewis Bapst transferred his membership to the Methodist Episcopal Church and was accepted as a Methodist local minister in 1906, he traveled by horse and buggy to Wheelersburg to conduct services.

Beaver Faith United Methodist Church the former the Evangelical United Brethren Church

Beaver Faith UMC Church rear

Beaver Faith United Methodist Church the former the Evangelical United Brethren Church looking from the back.

The remains of the German Reformed Church. The late Lamar Hammerstein once told me he worked there as a janitor.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

THE BETHEL CHRISTIAN CHURCH

Sunfish Creek Road, Piketon , Ohio

Waverly Watchman 8 August 1968

In 1859, about 30 families met in the home of Edward Dixon located in Newton Township, Pike County to organize a church. Their written mission was as follows: "We the members of the Church of Christ, belonging to the Salt Creek Christian Conference living on Sunfish and surrounding country. We do agree to take the Holy Scriptures for our rule of faith and practice, and to be governed thereby in all things pertaining to life and Salvation." Two elders and one deacon were named at that time. The elders were Edward Dixon and Lewis Throckmorton. The deacon was Lewis Crabtree. Of the thirty households there, the surnames of Mossbarger, Hopper, O’Briant, Detty, and Throckmorton were prevalent.
Meetings continued in the home of Mr. Dixon for sometime, but by 1863, according to church records, the members were using one of the two schoolhouses located at Bethel for worship. Bethel had two schoolhouses located several yards from each other. The smaller one was used for grades one through four and the other for grades four through eight. The larger one had two floors with the ground floor being used as a school and the upper level used as a Redman Lodge Hall. By 1867, a meeting house had been built for church purposes and by 1879, it was referred to in church records as the Bethel Chapel. The chapel was surrounded by burying grounds where some people had already been buried. The oldest known grave was that of Stephen Dixon, the three month old son of Edward and Nancy, who died in 1854.
That church soon became the main meeting place for the Salt Creek Christian Conference, first organized in 1818 in Jackson County. Major annual meetings and smaller quarterly meetings were held for business purposes, for religious discussions, for social activities and for a general revival of Christianity. Many churches from several counties in south central Ohio were represented at these conferences. Although the conference still exists today, it’s size and area are nearly diminished. Only annual meetings are held and last only for a half day session. In olden days, the conferences ran for four days and five nights. Food was prepared daily for all those in attendance for two meals a day by paid cooks. Meals were cooked and served in a small building called the cook house.
At some point, around 1904, the church building took on a new name. According to oral history, a lady named Belle Merritt decided that the church needed a bell. She told the congregation that she would buy the bell if they would name the church building after her. It happened and soon the church house became known as Belle Chapel. The term is still used today but on a limited basis. Oral history also has been passed down that when a horse drawn funeral hearse was on its way to the church/cemetery, the bell would be tolled during its approach. The cemetery owned by the church has, at least up to the present time, always offered gravesites at no charge. The church is assisted in care of the cemetery by an organization for that express purpose. It is a community group headed at the present time by Mr. Russell Mossbarger.
Early in its history, the church was plagued by flood waters from Sunfish Creek after times of heavy rain. These floods were doing serious damage to the building and causing a great deal of inconvenience. In 1938, the congregation decided to tear down the building and rebuild it on slightly higher ground. This was done at little cost to the church since the better materials in the original building were used to construct the new one. It was a little smaller than the original one but certainly was a needed improvement. The bell was, of course, moved into the new church where it still remains today.
During the late 1960’s an addition of two classrooms for Sunday School purposes was built on to the church. Then in 2000, a new vestibule, church office room and bathrooms were added. There had been no indoor plumbing until that time.
The church over the years has had many ministers. Two of its most remembered were Jake Jacobs and John Q. Lawill. Jake was known as the barefoot preacher because when weather permitted, he came to church barefooted. John Q. Lawill was known as the marrying preacher because he performed this service for so many of the couples in the area of Bethel.
In later years, ministers included Harley Powell, Sherman Swogger, and Elmore Burkitt. At the present time, preaching duties are shared by three of the members of the church, Patrick Blankenship, David Burkitt, and Kenneth Burkitt. Sunday School Services are held every Sunday morning at 10:00 A.M. followed by a sermon. Sunday evening services are held on the first and third Sunday nights of each month at 6:00 P.M. Bible Study meetings are conducted on Wednesdays at 7:00 P.M.

Information current as of 7 July 2007

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Calvary United Methodist Church, Waverly, Ohio

The Waverly Ohio Church of the United Brethren in Christ Jesus was organized about 1856, the exact date unknown.
A lot at 107 East Third Street was purchased from James and Louisa Emmett in 1857 for the sum of $100.00.
In 1858 a brick building, 28ft. x 40ft. was built and used for worship services by this faithful German congregation.
At about this time the vacant corner lot where the Waverly Police and fire station now stands became the Cemetery for the old church. Records show that a fence stood between the church and the cemetery (cemetery was started 16 Dec 1846). The bodies were moved in1882 and the monuments that were movable were taken probably at the same time to the Evergreen Cemetery.
Near the year 1900 the church changed from German to English.
In about 1904 the lot adjoining the original church was deeded to the church. This lot with the house that was on it became the home of those who pastured the church.
Our knowledge of more recent history begins when Rev. J. Harold Conkel (dec) came to pastor the Evangelical United Brethren Church from 1943 to 1953.
In 1949 he led the congregation in building the present church structure on the same location as the old church. During the time of building, Mrs. Conkel held Sunday school class in the parsonage and Rev. Conkel held worship services in the park next door.
Later pastors were Rev. Elmer Stockman (dec), Rev. Charles Jenkins (dec) and Rev. Amos Sweet (dec).
With Rev. Sweet's leadership the church basement was finished, bathrooms were installed and the sanctuary was redecorated.
The pulpit furniture was donated by the Portsmouth First Church and the present pews are from the Meadow Run Church.
In 1961 the congregation of the Evangelical United Brethren Church leased to the Pike County Welfare Board Inc., the building located directly behind the church, Its known as the Welfare House and serves the needy of the county.
In 1961 construction of the parsonage was begun on the adjoining lot's with Rev. and Mrs. Sweet moving into it on July 1, 1962.
In 1953 Rev. James Gore came to pastor for one year.
Rev. James Smith served the church from 1964 to 1979 during which time many changes and improvements were made to the church and parsonage.
In 1969 there were a merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren. Our new name became Calvary United Methodist Church.
For one year 1979-1980 Rev. Major Montgomery was assigned here, followed Rev. Marland Penwell who remained with us for fourteen years. More recent pastors were Pastor Glenn Flannery, Rev. Dale McClurg (dec) , Rev. Frank Crofoot (dec), Rev. Walter Dawson. and our present pastor David Burriss.
In the fall of 2006 the appearance of the church has been upgraded with vinyl siding and repairs.
For 150 years this church has continued serving God and the community providing a place of Worship, Bible study, Prayer and Christian fellowship.
Revised Nov. 2008

NEW CHURCH FUND

A combined service of worship and quarterly conference was conducted at the Waverly United Brethren church on last Sunday evening. Dr. C. M. Bowman, of Westerville, Ohio, bringing the message. Dr. Bowman, who is conference superintendent, spoke to a large audience on the subject of "Christians As The Light of the World." Action was taken to start a fund for the building of a new United Brethren church in Waverly. Money will be raised to help on a new church which will be built when conditions change. A "cash day" will be held in the church on December 17 to start the fund. Special features include sounds by a Portsmouth choir which will be present for the evening service on December 17th.

7 Dec 1944 The Republican Herald

Additional information:

Rev. Tulga has been pastor of U. B. since last September to leave June 1st for LaGrange, OH [10 May 1923 The Republican Herald]

1932 Floyd Bostick is pastor at the U. B. church. [29 Jun1931 The Republican Herald]

Rev. Beecher and K. Morgan was at the Waverly charge for 2 years and was sent to Harrisburg Church near Columbus and was replaced by Rev. Laura Strawn. (Phone # 165-R) [13 Sep 1934 The Republican Herald][11 Jun 1933]

1938 Pastor was Rev. T. W. Thompson

Rev. H. L Smith was pastor for 3 years prior to J. H. Conkel. Rev. Smith was moved to Union Furnace and Rev. Conkel was the former pastor of Long Run Church. [Source: 2 Sep 1943 The Republican Herald] Septrmber1945 Rev. Conkel was starting third year (6 Sep 1945 The Waverly Watchman)

6 June 1935 The Republican Herald

***********************************************************************************************************************

Cotties Corner Church

Cottie’s Corner Church situated on State Route 772 in rural Pike County, Ohio is a non-denominational church. It was organized by a group of Christians who loved freedom of worship and had a desire to lead others to Christ. They had no intention of being bound to an organization or authority, their concern being for the local congregation and its service to the immediate community. This plan of worship and service still rules in the church body. The members have seen their donations at work to help those who are down and out and to promote the work of the Lord by inspiring those who are sinners to seek God’s Holy Spirit.
This church was built in 1906 by the members assisted by a few local interested people. The timber for the church was sawn by Joe McAllister and he along with Fred Dunn and Cottie John Smith were instrumental in building a structure which stands today as a monument to the faith of these followers of Christ. The name of Cottie’s Corner came about quite by accident. Henry Griffith happened by while the building was under construction and asked the men what thy were going to call the new church. Someone said it was to be called Cottie’s Corner because it was on the corner of a lane leading to the home of Cottie John Smith. The remark was made in jest but the name stuck.
The little church has been an inspiration to many folks in the Smith Hill area and its influence has spread over a great portion of southern Ohio as young people have gone out from its jurisdiction and settled elsewhere taking the discipline and teachings learned in attendance. A few of the people faithful in their attendance through the years were: David Brockney, Wes Mustard, Bro. Pummell, Arthur Dunn, Fred Dunn, Jimmy Williams, Cottie John Smith and Ogra Creech. Most of these persons quite capable of leading services in the church, spoke plainly about the guidance of God’s Holy Spirit and were able to interpret the scriptures in a way that was understandable and clear.
Ogra Creech was a good example of how the little church was to be instrumental in instilling to each individual the necessity of the indwelling of the Holly Spirit in his life. Through this type preaching many lives were changed as was the life of Bro. Creech who saw his own unsaved condition and later became a very successful minister of the gospel. He established many non-denominational churches in the area of southern Ohio. In Rev. Creech’s book "A Drink from the Well at Bethlehem’s Gate" he states: "The things that I heard when I came to Smith Hill stirred my heart and paved the way for my reclamation. Their doctrine was Quaker like and simple. They ruled man out and gave all the glory to God. Who can honestly argue with such a simple way to live for Him? They did not believe in telling a seeker at the altar that he was alright, or seizing his hands and lifting him up. It is holy ground and let the Holy Ghost do the lifting." So this is the secret of the successful operation of Cottie’s Corner Church .
The women also played an important part as was evident in the religious upbringing of the children. They took an important part in the services along with the men folks. Avonelle Teeters, May Duke, Crilla Burkittt, Mary Jordan and Shirley Williams were known for their singing ability and were in demand to appear at revivals throughout the area with their "sermons in song". Their renditions were sure to bring tears of joy to the Christian or tears of remorse to the sinner as they spread God’s Holy Word in song. Another group of singers who owe their foundation to Cottie’s Corner Church was the "Eden Gospel Fire" from Sabina, Ohio. The group was composed of the following: Cleo Teeters, Ezra Teeters, Olaf Dunn, Helene Dunn, Leo Dunn and Helen Dunn.
A building project was completed in 1973 made necessary by an increase in attendance. More people are searching for the peace and hope gained by living and meeting God’s conditions. Later a plot was set aside for a cemetery due to the desire of several of t he congregation to be laid to rest near the church. The plot has been used many times.
The pastor at the present time (2007) is Danny Campbell. Sunday morning services include Sunday School at 9:30 and worship services at 10:15 . Tuesday night prayer meeting begins at 7:30 P.M. and Saturday night church begins at 7:30 P.M.

******************************************************************************************************************

Dailyville Free Will Baptist Church

March 1974

Published 28 October 1976
Old picture of Dailyville Church

Additional Notes:

Present building sets on the former Dailyville Grange Hall location. The Grange closed in early 1940's.

Joshua "Mack" Munyan and his wife Mary Frances Stewart along with Joshua's sister Catherine Munyan-Tackett started the church.

********************************************************************************************************************

Eden Baptist Church
2019 Nipgen Road, Waverly, Ohio
THE EDEN BAPTIST CHURCH
"Thirteen African American families settled in Pebble Township of Pike County, Ohio in the early 1820's. The settlers, former slaves and freemen, were a multi-talented group of people. They used these talents to build a community. In addition to talents, they brought a good measure of wealth with them. They built a school, meeting hall and organized a church. The church met for several years in the homes of the settlers, but in 1824 a log structure was built on land donated by one of the settlers, Minor Muntz.
The church became the center of activity in the settlement. Through the church, families associated with persons in other nearby settlements. They attended a convention in Brown County in 1847, and to a Baptist Association of churches in 1848. Attendees to the convention were from churches in Columbus, Xenia, Cincinnati, and Chillicothe. These religious gatherings allowed an exchange of ideas, as well as spiritual guidance. The returning delegates to the Pee Pee Settlement (as it was called) brought news from other places. Several of the members, as a result, became active in the Underground Railroad.
Members of the settlement were harassed and some of the homes were burned, the church, however, continued to prosper.
The church membership grew after the Civil War because of the migration north of scores of African American families to Southern Ohio. The church continued to be the center of activity. Festivals, picnics, holiday dramas, concerts homecomings services, and basket dinners, were enjoyed at the church in addition to the worship services held every Sunday morning. Worshippers came from every direction summoned by the ringing of the bell.
Great orators brought the "Word" to the Sunday services. During weekday evening, however, classes were taught to help educate the unlearned.
The church still stands today and continues to provide spiritual guidance to its congregation. Recently a historical maker was placed at the church to commemorate the PP settlement and the Eden Baptist Church for their efforts during the Underground Railroad movement."

*********************************************************************************************************************

Kibben Memorial Church of Christ In Christian Union
An old frame house with wooden shingles at the corner of Second and East street was purchased for $900 under the leadership of the Rev. E. A. Keaton in 1927. It formerly was the home of Mrs. Harve "Stella" McCoy. The partitions were removed to make on large room.
Before this the first meetings were in tent revival in the municipal park where the fire station is now. The Rev. Earl Ross and Roy Wolford conduced this meeting then being former member of God's Bible School in Cincinnati. This being so successful the new converts needed a place to meet so various places were used until this home was purchased.
Membership grew until by 1929 enrolment of the Sunday School was 115. The new church was started in the spring of 1929 and on June 1930 the building was opened with the Rev. J. G. Laueck as Pastor.
The Rev. Given McKibben was the speaker for dedication on Sunday July 13, 1920 whose father was founder of the denomination and so the church was named in his honor.
Rev. Earl Ross was pastor until the fall of 1930 followed by Rev. Roy Wolford until 1932. In the fall of 1932, Rev J. W. Sylvester served as Pastor of Waverly and also at Peebles at the same time. 1933 Paul Ferguson became the first full time pastor until 1941. May 1941 to January 1943 Orville Leonard was the pastor. Rev. John Dorsey served temporarily from January 1943 to August 1943 at a salary of $25 per week. Rev. Frank Sollars then followed until August 1945 to be replaced by Evangelist W. Ray Duncan.
The first parsonage was purchased in 1947 from Sam Finley on West Third Street. When Rev. Duncan resigned in 1950, the Rev. Floyd Shoemaker became pastor. Then a new parsonage was built behind the church, In 1954, Don Pfeifer became Pastor until August 1960. Rev. Leonard Fitts served as Pastor until August 1964 when Robert Sayre took over and Rev. Fitts was elected Superintendent of the South Central District of this denomination. Rev. Sayer and family came from Springfield and stayed until July 1969.
The second addition to the church was started in March 1957 and by spring of 1960 the third building program was started and was finished before July. Information from an article by Jim Henry

Church as of 12 July 2007 and now is a Church of God

************************************************************************************************************************

Christian Union Church at the corner of Fifth and Bridge Street, Waverly
Christian Union Church at the corner of Fifth and Bridge Street, Waverly was organized around 1900

7 Aug 1901 The Courier Watchman

Waverly CCCCU
From Jim Henry Collection

***********************************************************************************************

Piketon-Jasper United Methodist Church

Methodism in Piketon

At the end of the eighteenth century, in October 1799, the first gathering of Methodists in what is now Pike County was led by Henry Smith, an early Methodist preacher who came across the Ohio River into the Northwest Territory and then organized the Scioto Circuit. The first meeting was held at the Chenoweth farm home, just north of the present bridge over the Scioto River at Piketon. That house stood near the small cemetery that can be seen on the Seif brothers' farm east of U. S Highway 23.
Local residents continued to hold Methodist meetings in homes in the area until 1812, when an organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church erected the first church, a frame structure, on the current site of the United Methodist Church. Shortly after the erection of the church, the town was laid out and called Jefferson. In 1815 the name of the town was changed to Piketon.
In 1854 the frame church was moved to another site, so that a two-story, brick church could be built on the original site. This church continues in use at the present time. The basic structure is unchanged, and the sanctuary on the second floor is very much the same as when built in 1854. The original wooden pews, stained glass window, and Seth Thomas clock have been retained.
The building survived the 1913 flooding of the Scioto River which covered the lower part of Piketon. The water reached a 4-foot level in the first floor of the church.
In 1971 a restoration of the sanctuary was undertaken with stripping of the old varnish from the pews to reveal the original finish. At that time, the old flooring in the sanctuary was replaced with barn-siding to maintain an authentic look. Also, stained glass lighting fixtures were installed.
A major renovation to the building in 1984 was the new standing-rib roof. Contractors who inspected the church at that time were impressed by the sturdiness of the beams in the attic and agreed that the building was worthy of the expenditure for a new roof.
In 1985, fourteen years after the pews were refinished, the massive woodwork was stripped to match the finish on the pews. to combat falling plaster, plasterboard was installed and the sanctuary was repainted. Since then, the woodwork in the narthex also has been refinished to show the natural wood.
The impressive wooden cross hanging from the ceiling over the alter was presented as a memorial gift. Both the cross and the pulpit were designed by Frank M. Robinson.
The deep red carpeting was chosen to match the corner panes in the original, stained glass windows. The modern additions of the carpeting, lighting, heating and air-conditioning have done little to change the appearance and the ambiance of the original church sanctuary.
To the rear of the building on the first floor, a kitchen was added in 1939 and in 1953 the in 1953 the annex was added to the rear. Later, the exterior of the church annex received a modern "permanent" look with the addition of siding.
In 1991 a stair lift to the second floor was installed on the stairway to the left of the entrance. Funding was covered by memorial contributions and an accessibility grant from the Portsmouth District of the United Methodist Church.
In earlier years, other communities in Pike County associated with the Piketon Circuit were Bailey Chapel, Barnes Chapel, Ferree Chapel, Salem Chapel, Scioto Chapel, Morgan's Class, Beaver Chapel, Gregg's Class, Yankee Hill, Sargents, and Jasper.
The Jasper church congregation came to Piketon in 1969 and merged with the Piketon church to become the Piketon-Jasper United Methodist Church. Recently, occasional services have been held at "The Little White Church on the Hill" in Jasper under sponsorship of the Jasper Forefathers Historical Association, a subgroup of the Ohio Trust for Historical Preservation, Inc.--a United Methodist organization.
Four member of the church have gone forth to serve in the ministry.
More than 150 pastors have served in Piketon. In 1855 Issac Cartlich and J. Q. Gibson served in Piketon together serving 8 churches. Their pay for the year was $224 for Cartlich and $200 fro Gibson. Some of the other past pastors include: J. J. Upton, C. T. Grant, J. W. Wakefield, E. S. Matheny but the longest and most memorable service, recalled by older members of the church was by the Rev. Waid C. Radford, the pastor from 1943 to 1961. He also occupied a place of prominence in the Ohio Conference of the Methodist Church as chairman of the Town and Country commission and was named Rural Pastor of the year in 1960. Twice he was a delegate to the national General Conference.
The pastier of the church in2007 was Rev. Todd E. Wallace.

View on left side in Piketon Method

Methodist Ch. interior on right sid

Piketon M. E. Ch. 1911

Church as it looked about 1911

******************************************************************************************************************************

St. Mary Queen of the Missions

St. Mary Queen of the Missions

Information from the History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio, published in 1884

"Catholic church--the first organization of a Catholic Society in Waverly took place in 1863-64 and in the following year, they began the construction of their fine large brick church on Walnut Street, now converted into an opera house. The building, which was the fines church edifice in Waverly, is 80 x 40 feet in size, very high, and is mounted with an imposing tower and spire. It was never completely paid for and fell into the hands of James Emmitt, who in 1875 had it converted into an opera house, called Emmitt's Opera House. The society rallied from this failure and began another church on East Market Street in 1878, completing it in the following year. It is a fine brick structure, but not so costly as the former, and is fully paid for by the congregation. The building of both churches was superintended by Joseph Myers, one of the congregation. The first pastor was Rev. Feldhaus, followed by Rev. Jerry Murray and he was succeeded in 1883 by Rev. Father Windthorst. It is connected with the church at Chillicothe where the pastor resides.

The following information excerpted from the Bulletin of The Catholic Record Society, Diocese of Columbus Volume XII, November 5, 1987.

Michael Flanigan is given credit for approaching James Emmitt in search of a building site for the proposed church in 1878. He had moved from Pennsylvania in 1876 and with his wife and eight children, settled in Pee Pee Township outside of Waverly. Because he was a newcomer, he had not lived through the heartbreaks of the first building.
It is duly recorded in the Pike County Recorder's office that on September 3, 1878 James Emmitt and wife, Louisa, sold to Archbishop Purcell a 50 by 177 foot lot on the east side of What was then a projected extension of South Market Street. The price was $500.00.
The new red brick St. Mary's church measured twenty-seven by fifty feet and seated about 100. There was a small room in the rear where the priest performed baptisms and sometime stayed overnight. Until the 1930's, the church was heated by a large, potbellied stove in the center aisle, with a tin stack going our a side window. The building was completed in July of 1880 at a cost of $2300, and was fully paid for by the congregation by 1884.
In addition to the smaller size of the new church: the economy had improved, and the St. Xavier Mission Church was destroyed by a fire, apparently about the same time; so that those who had formerly attended that mission would now increase the size of the Waverly congregation.
Sometime in the early 1900's, the beautiful stained glass window that are a part of St. Mary's heritage were installed. The date is unknown, but it would be safe to assume that this was accomplished probably between 1907 and 1908. One of the windows was a gift to the parish from the Rev. John Francis Cogan who served St. Mary's on a monthly basis from Greenfield, Ohio. Following Father Cogan, and also from Greenfield, was Rev. John M. Sailor from 1906-08. Inscriptions reads: "In Memory of My Mother, Gift of Rev. John M. Sailor." The other windows were donated by the following:
In Memory of William and Catherine Corcoran Gift of Ladies Altar Society
In Memory of Thomas Griffin, Gift of Mrs. Jane Griffin
Gift of C. D. Heibel & Family
In Memory of Jeremiah Donovan, Gift of Joanna Donovan
In Memory of James McGowan, Gift of Mrs. Ellen McGowan
In Memory of John & Clyde Powell, Gift of Mrs. Kate Powell
In memory of Adam & Anna Heibel
A blank with no name

During this period, the family names of parishioners that are recalled are Patterson, Logan, Griffin, Taylor, Hoffman, Kent, Streitenberger, Boyer, Donovan, Starkey, Mader, Ridgeway, McGowan, Provost, Gorman, Shane, Heibel, and Edelman.
In 1952, under the direction of Rev. Rogers of St. Mary's parish in Chillicothe and the Bishop of Columbus, a house next to the church was purchased from Arthur and Roxie Blaum for $21,00. The parish now had a rectory, and the Rev. Louis E. Hoffman was assigned by the diocese as the first permanent priest and resident to the burgeoning parish.
As speed was important, plans were drawn for a steel fabricated building to be erected just west of the other church, contracts were signed for $40,000, and work progressed rapidly with the exterior shell. The interior work was performed by volunteers of the parish. Pews were obtained from a parish at Washington Courthouse and installed.
On October 18, 1953, Bishop Michael J. Ready of Columbus dedicated the new facility and named the parish, St. Mary Queen of the Missions. Three Masses were necessary on Sundays to accommodate the parishioners.
Father Leo A. Sullivan headed the parish form 1960 to 1965. During his assignment, remodeling of the old church into a parish meeting hall was completed.
Rev. Raymond Larussa was assigned to the parish in 1982, and, under his direction, the modernization and beautification of the church was accomplished. Beginning in 1983 and continuing to 1985, a new ceiling, insulation, and light fixtures was installed. Side walls were insulated and covered with decorative board; steel beams were wrapped in laminated board; a cry room was constructed; a new confessional was built; a new altar was installed; new carpeting was laid; painting and decoration was accomplished; and the stained-glass windows in the social hall (the old church) were protected by panels of clear Plexiglas.
Father William Metzger was assigned a pastor to the parish in the summer of 1985. In 1988, extensive restoration to the parish hall was started, The ceiling was restored to its original height; an oak floor was laid; window trim was reconstructed; and walls refinished.

DEDICATION OF THE ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH

It will be seen by the announcement printed elsewhere in this paper, that the Catholic Church, in this place, will be dedicated on Monday, April 8th, by the Right Rev. Arch Bishop Purcell, of Cincinnati, one of the most talented Ministers in the United States. We advise all our reader that can, to attend, as this may be the only opportunity you will ever have of witnessing the interesting ceremonies connected with the dedication of a Catholic Church, and of hearing this eloquent gentleman.--In the evening the Arch Bishop will deliver a Lecture, after which a choir of singers, from Chillicothe, under the direction of Prof. St. Berkley, assisted by Prof. Hoffman, will entertain the audience with choice vocal and instrumental music.
A general invitation is extended to all to be present. For further paruculars [particulars] see advertisement.

5 Apr 1867 Waverly Democrat

********************************************************************************************************************

Waverly Lutheran Church

NEW CHURCH TO BE DEDICATED SUNDAY
Public Invited To Attend
Special Services At 3:00 P.M.

Waverly's newest church, which will be known as the "Waverly Lutheran Church" located in the southwest end of town on Route 104, will be dedicated Sunday afternoon, August 1, at 3 p.m.
Speakers for the special services will be the Rev. W. Pohl of Zanesville and Dr. W. C. Birkner, Secretary of Missions for the Central District of Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod. Dr. Birkner resides in Fort Wayne, Ind.
The new modern church (pictured in The Waverly Watchman and the Waverly News previously), measures 65 by 32 feet on the exterior and was designed by Mr. John Eberhard of Creative Buildings, Urbana, Illinois. The basic design is equilateral triangle, symbolic of the Holy Trinity.
Interior of the building is light green ceiling panels, bordered by dark brown beams which are featured on both interior and exterior of the building.
Side interior panels are varnished mahogany, and the building will seat approximately 150 to 170 people.
Plans have been under way since last October to locate and erect this building in Waverly, and in April of this year two acres of ground were purchased from Mr. Carl McCain on Route 104. approximately .3 mile south of the D. T. & I. railroad overpass, where the chapel is now situated.
Rev. Donald W. Buckner of 295 Church street, Chillicothe will be pastor of the church in addition to his congregation in Chillicothe and Portsmouth.
Wayne Preston of Huntington, W. Va. was the contractor.
Summers & Son Company of Chillicothe are furnishing the Hammond Organ for the Dedication services.
Residents of the area are cordially invited to attend the dedication and other services.

29July 1954 The Waverly Watchman

***************************************************************************************************************************

First Baptist Church of Waverly

Construction of First Baptist

4 March 1954 The Waverly Watchman

Church was dedicated 7 March 1954 Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.

More at the church web site: First Baptist Church of Waverly

Victory Chapel

The church in Green Acres is now Victory Chapel
Picture taken 31 January 2008

************************************************************************************************

Waverly Presbyterian Church
Waverly Presbyteran Church April 2008

Beginnings 1832-1842

This period begins with the establishment of Waverly with a population of 200 (Kalfs 1976, p21) in 1832, and ends with the incorporation of Waverly in January 1842, with a population of 306 (up from 200 in 1830; FNB History,21), the Waverly Presbyterian Church was established.

Following the Treaty of Greenville in 1795, which cleared the Shawnee Indians from the area, settlers had moved into what was to become Pike County which was formed in 1815 with a population of 4,153 from land taken from four existing counties (Beekman 2003, p1),. All Land west of the Scioto River was part of the Virginia Military District, set aside for Virginia's veterans of the Revolutionary War. By the Northwest Ordinance Congress had opened all land east of the Scioto for settlement (History of the Scioto Valley, P. 696).

When in 1829, the routes for the series of canals linking the Ohio River with Lake Erie to the north were being planned, a village to be called Uniontown was seen as an important port on the branch of canal system passing through Pike County. When residents seeking to establish a post office found that a post office of this name already existed in another Uniontown, the name was changed to Waverly at the suggestion of Capt. Francis Cleveland, resident engineer of the newly constructed canal, who was much interested in reading the Waverly Novels of Sir Walter Scott. The village of Waverly was established in 1832 and incorporated in January 1842. By 1860 the population had grown to 900 (Hoover p. ).

Waverly citizen and leading businessman James Emmitt, son of George Emmitt, came to Pike County in 1816 at the age of ten, and worked for ten years as a farm laborer, woodcutter ad teamster. He saw canal construction as an economic opportunity, first turning his home into a boarding house for canal engineers. When the Waverly section was completed in 1832, he purchased canal boats to carry grain, built a large grain mill and whiskey distillery, and raised hogs on the grain mash left from the distilling process. Only when cholera broke out in 1852 did he respond to public outcry over the bad odor by moving the hog farm further away (Beekman 203 p.5). James Emmitt died in 1894.

Following the first group of European immigrants to southern Ohio, among the traders, trappers, surveyors, and land developers, came families of Scottish, Irish and English descent from New England, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky. Among these were many with Presbyterian traditions. They were attracted by stable conditions created by the Northwest Ordinance, and the Virginia Military Tract which extended from the Scioto River west to the Little Miami River.

A second wave of migrants came from Germany in the 1830's to the 1860's. They were seeking refuge from political persecution, and brought with them United Brethren, Evangelical, Reformed, Lutheran and Roman Catholic traditions.

In 1821 settlers from the Calvinistic tradition formed the Chillicothe Presbytery, which covered an area of six counties including Adams, Brown, Fayette, Highland, Pike and Ross, plus the eastern parts of Clermont and Clinton counties. The first Presbyterian congregation in Pike County was established in Piketon in 1832, with the Reverend Gamaliel Beeman as stated supply pastor until 1838.

In 1841 the Reverend William Burton of the Piketon Presbyterian Church became interested in establishing a branch church in Waverly. As noted above, in the year 1842, the Waverly Presbyterian Church was established, with the Rev. Burton as stated supply pastor of both Piketon and Waverly churches. This action may have taken place at the meeting of the Chillicothe Presbytery at the Pisgah Church on April 5-6, 1842, when John Carolus, the first elder of the Waverly Church was listed as an elder commissioner. The first trustees were Carolus, John Howard and Robert Emmitt, brother of James Emmitt.

The property of In-Lot No. 110 on East North Street came into the possession of the church as follows. On July 4, 1842, John Carolus and his wife executed a deed for 5/6 of lots 109 and 110 to William Burton, Isaac Watts, Robert Emmitt and James Tomlinson. Emmitt then deeded his 1/6 interest to Thomas Davis. On August 23, 1843, Burton, Carolus, Howard, Watts, Davis and Tomlinson executed a general warrant deed to John Carolus, Isaac Watts, and James Tomlinson, Trustees of the First Presbyterian Society of Waverly, Pike County, Ohio for the property on which the original building and, remodeled in 1883, still stands.

Early Years 1842-1886

This period is marked by the upheaval of the Civil War, and the coming of the railroad to replace the canal as the major means of transportation. In 1862, when the county seat was moved from Piketon to Waverly much to the dismay of Piketon residents, the common Pleas Court hearings were held in the Waverly Presbyterian Church through 1865, for a rental of $117. According to some residents, school was also held in this church building for a time.

In the 1840's the divisions between Old and New School Presbyterians had reached southern Ohio. Chillicothe Presbytery, being Old School was not happy with the activities of New School Second Presbyterian Church among Waverly Presbyterians, so voted in 1847 to have Waverly separated from the Piketon Church. Waverly was for a time identified as New School, which may account for the Presbytery action in 1852 rejecting the idea of allowing Waverly to exists as a separate church. By 1870, the Old School-New School division was over and the Waverly Church was again recognized as a part of the Piketon Church. Waverly Presbyterian Church, having separated itself from Piketon in 1871, was reunited in 1873, but the separation was final in 1881.

During this period, three other Presbyterian churches were established in Pike County, but lived only a few years: Cynthiana 1846-1886, Omega 1878-1884, Buchanan which existed for a few years beginning in 1876 or 1887. The Piketon Presbyterian Church itself was dissolved in 1886, leaving Waverly as the sole survivor. Membership continued to be small. In 1876, for example, it stood at twenty eight. Elders elected on June 1, 1876 were Dr. John L. Caldwell and Prof. C. T. McCoy.

In 1881, the Waverly Presbyterian Church was reorganized by the Rev. Henry W. Biggs, Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Chillicothe, with twenty four members, four elders (John L. Caldwell, Adam Gehres, S. M. Seibert and C.T. McCoy) and two deacons (William McKenzie and Robert Lowery). On February 26, 1884, the church was duly incorporated under the name of the First Presbyterian Church of Waverly, Ohio. Listed as incorporators were Adam Gehres, Eli Potts, C. B. Copple, William H. McKenzie and George Emmitt, (brother of James Emmitt who died in 1894). Gehres, Potts and Copple, as trustees of the old organization then deeded the property to the new corporation.

About this time a new church building was erected in place of the original building which was built in 1842 and lasted for 41 years until 1883. By that time changes were necessary. According to one account, the old building was torn down to its foundation and a new one built. According to another account, it was remodeled with the addition of two small rooms with the belfry and bell. A slab on the church building reads "Rebuilt in 1883," which indicates that the new or remodeled structure was at least started in that year.

Pastors 1842-1886

  • Rev. Gamaliel Beeman, SS, Piketon only, 1832 - 1842 (10 years)
  • Rev. William Burton, SS, Waverly and Piketon, 1842 - 1844 (2 years)
    • P, June 1844 - June 1849 (5 years)
  • Rev. H. W. Taylor, TS, Waverly and Piketon, 1849 - 1850 (1 year)
  • P, June 1850 - April 1851 (2 years)
  • Rev. James Hueston, P, Waverly and Piketon, 1851 - 1853 (2 years)
  • Rev. Wm. P. Eastman, Waverly and Piketon, 1853 - 1866 (Caldwell) (13 years)
  • Rev. Arthur R. Naylor TS, September 1855 - April 1856 (Townsend) (1 year)
  • George T. Crissman TS, (Some months in 1861 - 1863)(Townsend) (2 years)
  • Rev. Irvin Carson SS, Waverly and Piketon, 1866 - 1867 (Caldwell) (1 year)
    • October 1869 - October 1870 (Townsend) 1 year
  • Rev. John O. Proctor S, March 1876 - April 1877 (1 year)
  • Rev. C. B. Gillette, SS, May 1877 - April 1878 (1 year)
  • Rev. R. N. Adams, P, April 1878 - March 1881 (3 years)
  • Rev. J. P. A. Dickey, Some month between April 1882 - June 1884 (2 years)
  • Rev. J. W. Wilson, July 1884 - October 1885 (1 year)

[Note: "P" = Pastor, "S" = State Supplied, "S" = Temporary Supplied]

Years of Modest Growth 1886-1950

In 1916, some younger men of the Church bought a log house across for the Church and made it into a recreational room. About that time the Sunday School took on a new life. Shortly after that, at the prompting of the Presbytery, the long house was sold and a house bought on East Second Street which became the Manse. However the Manse was later sold because it was considered too large. The proceeds were invested for a time. In 1950 three members of the prominent Gehres family gave the church a seven room modern home which became the Manse. This released the money from the sale of the original manse to be added to the building fund which had been started by the efforts of the women of the Church.

Membership grew from 28 in 1876 to 80 in this period. Much of the time the ministers who served the church were stated supplies not full time pastors. Records show that from 1891 to 1914 the salaries paid by the local church ranged from $400 to $600 a year, one exception being $712.50. For part of this period, salary supplements were paid by the Home Mission Board.

The following reminiscences are from, 90 year old church member Claribel Fagan, 315 East North St., Waverly, as told to John Hamlin in August 2002.

"My mother told me that I first attended the Presbyterian Church with her in 1914 at the age of two, when Rev. Galbreath was Pastor, and I have been going ever since, that is, until I developed macular degeneration in about 1995. I have been a deacon and a Sunday School teacher. I remember how Rev. [William} Price shed tears when a Session voted not to allow a Negro to attend our church services. I remember what seemed a grand ceremony when Rev. [George] Masselink was ordained in our church. Most of our pastors lived in what is now a barber shop next to the Jail on Second Street."

Pastors 1886-1950

  • Rev. William Morrison Galbreath, SS, April 1886 - April 1887 (1 year)
  • Rev. T. S. McWilliams, June 1889 -
  • Norman Jones, SS, 1890
  • Rev. Frank G. Moore, SS, October 1891 - September 1892 (1 year)
  • Jonah Smith, May 1893
  • Rev. Edward M. Page, SS, October 1894 - June 1895 (1 year)
  • Rev. Jacob F. Slagle, SS, November 1897 - December 1902 4 years
  • Rev. W. M. Reese, 1903
  • Rev. Scott I. Wallace, P, February 1904 - October 1905 (1 year +)
  • Rev. I. N. Wilkins, SS, 1906
  • Rev. Earl A. Miller, SS, March 1907 - January 1909 (2 years)
  • Rev. James L. McWilliams, January - March 1920
  • Rev. J. G. Galbreath, SS, then Pastor, February 1913 - March 1916 (3 years)
  • Rev. George W. Bell, P, September 1920 - October 1922 (2 years)
  • Rev. George L. Pake, P, April 1923 - May 1926 (3 years)
  • Rev. T. C. Kerr, P, October 1923 - 1929 (3 years)
  • Rev. William Price, SS, May 1931 - April 1934 (3 years)
  • Rev. George Masselink, September 1934 - April 1935 (1 year)
  • Rev. A. P. Donnelly, SS, May 1935 - May 1936 (1 year)
  • Rev. Harry Wickerson, SS, then Pastor, December 1936 - February 1939 (3 years)
  • Rev. Philip L. Williams, SS, September 1939 - May 1941 (1 year)
  • Rev. Glen Sylvia, SS, September 1941 - September 1942 (1 year)
  • Rev. Charles Mathew Brown, SS, March 1943 - June 1945 (2 years)
  • Rev. R. L. Offield, SS, June 1946 - May 1948 (2 years)
  • Herbert F. White, SS, December 1948 - May 1950 (2 years)
  • Rev. Thomas M. Patterson, SS, June - October 1950

Years of Rapid Growth 1950-2005

In 1950 a Building Committee was appointed to draw up plans for remodeling the sanctuary. Plans included a kitchen, rest rooms, a recreation room and a assembly room. In spite of an unexpected collapse of an entire wall, weakened by excavation, the building was completed along lines it had when the congregation moved to its new location in 2001.

17 March 1951 The republican Herald reported that three men were almost trapped when the walls of the Waverly Presbyterian church crumbled into an excavation for the new addition to the church shortly before noon last Thursday. A cracked section on the right wall fell during a storm at 6 p.m. the same day.

Next to the Church edifice there was a double building, really two buildings joined together. One Half was owned by Mr. And Mrs. D. Ray Gehres. When Mrs. Gehres died in 1958, it was disclosed that she willed her half of the building to the Presbyterian Church for educational purposes. The trustees then bought the other half and made it into the educational building which served the growing needs of the church.

Two developments had a profound effect on the First Presbyterian Church, Waverly The first was the construction of the uranium enrichment plant just south of Piketon in 1952. This brought in many temporary construction workers and, more important to the church, administrative and engineering employees. Many of the latter were or became Presbyterian. They had families with children who came to the Sunday School, one time had over 40 children. Membership grew from 118 in 1953 to 451 in 1967. Up until the mid 1980s two services were held each Sunday.

The other development was the establishment of Bristol Village Retirement Community in 1962. Waverly First Presbyterian was one of four sponsoring Presbyterian Churches (the others being Columbus North Broadway, Chillicothe First, Portsmouth Second). Under the leadership of the Reverend John Glenn then pastor of North Broadway Presbyterian Church, a government housing project constructed but never used by the Piketon Plant construction workers, was purchased and converted into a vibrant retirement community that celebrated its fortieth anniversary in 2002, as one of the foremost retirement facilities in the nation. Since its founding, many of the members of the Presbyterian Church have been among the five hundred and more residents of Bristol Village.. This holds true in 2005, while the Piketon plant continues to down size and adapt to changing conditions, while the Sunday School children of former years have grown up and moved away.

Pastors 1950 - Present

  • Rev. Eli Mowry, SS, January 1951 - September 1957 (6 years)
  • Rev. Glenn Carlson, P, October 1957 - February 1961 (4 years)
  • Ralph Lewis Lay Preacher, April 1961 - July 1961 (3 months)
  • Rev. Roger Kelsey, P, October 1961 - April 1968 (7 years)
  • Rev. Jack Lewis Pursell, P, January 1, 1969 - June 30, 1986 (18 years)
  • Rev. Richard Secrest Hays, P, October 4, 1987 (Current)
  • Rev. E. John Hamlin Parish Associate, September 28, 1997 (Current)

References

First Presbyterian Church of Waverly
***************************************************************

Soul's Harbor Church at Sargent's Station
Souls Harbor Church

126 Nursing Home Road

7 Aug 1901 The Courier Watchman

The Church has been Soul's Harbor for about 6 years. Prior to that it was Serenity Chapel and before that Sargent's Free Will Baptist Church and before that Sargent's Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. The original church was built about 1840 and burned down in 1919. The present building was built shortly after the original burned down and was still a Episcopal Methodist Church.

Get together at Sargents Methodist

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Howard United Methodist Church

The following names are taken from a small book of records of the Howard United Methodist Church on Camp Creek Road in the southern part of Pike County in Camp Creek Township. It is about one mile west of the present St. Rt. 104. The book is held by Mrs. Zelma (DUNHAM) WEETER, R.F.D. #5, Box 271, Lucasville, Ohio. Mrs. WEETER has attended this church since a child. The names are sometimes spelled as they sound, perhaps as a child would say them:
Samuel CHESTNUT, James BREWER, Mark LANDRUM, Mary LANDRUM, Sarah C. INGLISH, Mary COOPER, Frances DETRICK, Julia BARE, Dinah BOTHEL, Elizabeth BARE, Julia A. TAYLOR, George BODINE, Mary M. WESTFALL, Anna CUNNINGHAM, George EDRAMES, Margaret DRAKE, John MERRITT, Anna MERRITT, John MERRITT, Harrison MERRITT, Lavisa MERRITT, George MERITT, Frances HALL, Mary MERRITT, Sarah MERRITT, John D. MERRITT, Valmore MERRITT, M. LANDRUM, Sarah ENGLISH, Margaret WILLIAM, Louise WEETER, Julia TAYLOR, Isaac TAYLOR, Sarah TAYLOR, Sarah MILLER, Eliza J. MILLER, Isaac SPRINGER, Abraham BAER, Evaline BAER, George BAER, John BAER, Catherine BAER, James HALL, Jane HALL, Elisha HALL, James BOTHEL, Frank PATRIDGE, Frank LANCASTER, Robert SAVOY, Frances RUSSELL, P. CUNNINGHAM, A. E. CUNNINGHAM, Eliza WYNN, Addison MILLER, Milton MERRITT, Samuel HAYNES, Nancy HAYNES, John ROSE, Wm. SHELMAN, Wm. HANES, Samuel STRUT, Isaac STARR, Wm. WELLS, Isaac CLIPPINGER, Delila RUSSELL, Isabel HAYNES

February 18, 1868 - January 13, 1878
(Money for Preachers)
Effeyane MASHON, A. F. JENKINS, Malina WOLFORD, Abraham FLARE, Ellen BOTHEL, John W. SILCOTT, Jerrymiah DUNHAM, Clara WATKINS, G. MILLIRONS, D. BURNSHINE, Chas DUNHAM, Clara DUNHAM, Geo MILLIRONS, Mort. DUNHAM, William MILLIRONS, and D. BURNSHINE.

information from P.C.O.G .S. Newsletter June 1977

Click here for Churches in Jackson Twp.

Click here for Ross County Church Histories

Click here for Scioto County Church Histories

Please email additions or corrections to manager@waverlyinfo.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601